Accent Planks Installation Instructions
Note: This material is intended for interior use only and is not designed for use around heated surfaces or open flames (can be installed around a code-approved fireplace). It can be used in high moisture areas (bathroom / kitchen / laundry). Avoid hanging heavy items on planks without using wall anchor(s) or securing hardware to wall stud(s) as planks are designed to be decorative only.
1. Determine Necessary Quantity of Accent Planks: Measure the wall or room to determine required square footage (length x height). Determine number of cartons to purchase by dividing total square footage to be covered by 15, then rounding up.
2. Acclimate Planks: Place Accent Planks in installation location at least 24 hours prior to installation to adjust to room temperature.
3. Wall Preparation: Accent Planks are intended to be installed over suitable noncombustible backing such as gypsum board.
a. 3M CommandTM Picture Hanging Strips (supplied) or Construction Adhesive: Ensure wall surfaces are firm, dry and free of contaminants. Sand high spots to ensure flat working surface to minimize plank distortion.
b. Finishing Nails (4d or 6d recommended): Sand high spots to ensure flat working surface.
4. Select Installation Orientation: Accent Planks can be installed horizontally, vertically or at an angle (i.e. herringbone). Arrange planks side-by-side in open area to achieve desired balance of color and pattern. Grain patterns can be oriented in same direction or opposing patterns.
5. Fitting the Accent Planks: Begin in a top or bottom corner of the room. Using a level and pencil, draw line along wall to use as a guide to ensure the starter row of planks is level. Install the first plank against inside corner (see Fastening Options below) and trim as needed to allow plank to fall on the level line. Set adjoining planks at varying lengths leaving a 1/32” gap between planks to allow for expansion. Continue until row is complete. Offset the second row 6-12” or as desired to achieve an appropriate design. Repeat until area is covered.
Note: Accent Planks can be trimmed using chop saw, table saw, or fine tooth miter box-type saw. Use quick cuts with fine tooth blade to ensure a clean cut. A table saw is recommended to make rip cuts (lengthwise cuts to trim to a narrower width).
6. Fastening Options: Secure Accent Planks using 3M CommandTM Picture Hanging Strips, construction adhesive, and/or finishing nails.
a. 3M CommandTM Picture Hanging Strips – Separate the strips and press fasteners together until they snap. Remove one green liner and press one set of strips onto the backside of the Accent Plank. Apply strips to both ends of plank and in middle if over 2.5 feet. Hold each strip for about 30 seconds. Remove remaining green liners and press plank directly onto the wall surface. Apply uniform pressure to ensure adequate adhesive contact.
Note: To remove planking, carefully lift the bottom of the plank to expose the separated fasteners. Lightly press the top of the fastener, and grip the tab. Slowly stretch the strip along the wall until the fastener releases from the wall (approximately 12 inches). Never pull strip towards you as damage may result.
b. Construction Adhesive - Use low-VOC construction adhesive, suitable for plastic, for Accent Plank installation. Follow supplier recommendations for installation.
c. Finishing Nails – 4d or 6d finishing nails are recommended for installation. Drive nails to within ¼” of plank surface to prevent scarring the face. With an appropriate nail set, drive nails flush or below the surface of the plank as preferred. Alternatively, a pneumatic nail gun set at 95psi or lower may be used to install planking. Avoid nailing close to the edge of the plank due to possibility of material cracking.
Note: Damage to underlying wall surface may occur using these application methods.
7. Care and Maintenance: Accent Planks are practically maintenance-free and painting is not recommended (laminate will not accept paint). Occasional cleaning and touch-up may be required.
a. Cleaning: A mild soap solution on a damp cloth is recommended. Wipe dry immediately. For any cleaning solution, test in an inconspicuous area first before using.
b. Touch-up: Since Accent Planks are prefinished, simply touch up nail holes and joints with color-coordinated non-oil-based putty, caulk, shoe polish, latex stain, marker or crayons.
The user is responsible for proper installation of this product. If not specifically covered by these instructions, product must be installed in accordance with generally accepted good design and construction practices. Inteplast Group Building Products does not warrant Accent Planks and cannot be held responsible for damage resulting from improper use or installation of this product.